Polow da Don – Focus “Producer” Spotlight
Who is Polow Da Don?
Polow-Freache Jamal Fincher Jones (born January 1, 1978), known by his stage name Polow da Don, is an American singer and record producer. He rose to fame in late 2005 and early 2006 through hit singles by artists including Ludacris, Will Smith, Chris Brown, Ciara, Kelly Rowland, Fergie, Rich Boy, Kelis, Nas, Usher, Nelly, Pussycat Dolls and Mario. (Wiki)
Early life of Polow:
Polow was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia. His mother was born in Japan. As a teenager in the mid-1990s, Polow listened to groups such as UGK, the Geto Boys, and 8Ball & MJG. His younger sister, Karesha, helped him learn how to play the keyboards and use MPC equipment. Polow played football and basketball for the Mount Vernon Christian Academy prep school. After earning good grades, he enrolled in Morehouse College. While halfway through a bachelor’s degree in accounting, he left college to pursue a rap career with his group Jim Crow. The group signed to Sony Records in 1999 where they released two albums—Crow’s Nest (1999) and Right Quick (2001)—before being dropped. Although disappointed, Polow formed a Southern hip hop group with Bubba Sparxxx, Sean P, Pastor Troy, G Rock, and Timbaland. However, they also split up without any releases.
Polow started making beats around 2001. His first beat tape made its way to Interscope Records president Jimmy Iovine. The beats were eventually used for the tracks “Runaway Love” by Ludacris, “Buttons” by thePussycat Dolls, and “This Is the Life” by Tru-Life, among others. (Wiki)
How do you recognize Polow?
1, 2, 3, 4 and “Wait a minute motha-fucka”, which has of lately been changed to “Wait a minute…” for censory reasons.
What singles has Polow da Don produced or been involved with?
Couresty of Wikipedia here’s a list of all the singles Polow da Don has been on:
- 2005: “Party Starter” by Will Smith
- 2005: “Pimpin’ All Over the World” by Ludacris (featuring Bobby Valentino) (produced with Donnie Scantz)
- 2006: “London Bridge” by Fergie (#1 Billboard Hot 100)
- 2006: “DJ Play a Love Song” by Jamie Foxx
- 2006: “Buttons” by Pussycat Dolls (featuring Snoop Dogg)
- 2006: “Runaway Love” by Ludacris (featuring Mary J. Blige)
- 2006: “Promise” by Ciara
- 2006: “Blindfold Me” by Kelis (featuring Nas)
- 2007: “Get Buck” by Young Buck
- 2007: “Glamorous” by Fergie (featuring Ludacris) (#1 Billboard Hot 100)
- 2007: “Like This” by Kelly Rowland (featuring Eve)
- 2007: “Throw Some D’s” by Rich Boy
- 2007: “Boy Looka Here” by Rich Boy
- 2007: “Good Things” by Rich Boy (featuring Keri Hilson and Polow da Don)
- 2007: “Crying Out for Me” by Mario
- 2007: “Whatever U Like” by Nicole Scherzinger (featuring T.I.)
- 2008: “Love in This Club” by Usher (featuring Young Jeezy) (with The Ambassadorz)
- 2008: “Party People” by Nelly (featuring Fergie)
- 2008: “Forever” by Chris Brown
- 2008: “Hero” by Nas (featuring Keri Hilson)
- 2008: “Single” by New Kids on the Block (featuring Ne-Yo) (with The Ambassadorz)
- 2008: “Turnin’ Me On” by Keri Hilson (featuring Lil Wayne)
- 2008: “Whatcha Think About That” by Pussycat Dolls (featuring Missy Elliott)
- 2008: “Stockwell Stomp” by Stockwell Stomp
- 2009: “Never, Ever” by Ciara (featuring Young Jeezy)
- 2009: “Drop by Rich Boy
- 2009: “Will.I.Am – “She’s a Star”
- 2009: “Turn Up the Radio by Keri Hilson
- 2009: “Keri Hilson – “Knocks You Down” (featuring Kanye West & Ne-Yo)
The notable tracks being: Runaway Love, Buttons, Promise, Glamorous, Throw Some D’s, Love in this Club, Forever, Turnin’ Me On.
What to expect from Polow da Don in the future:
Polow da Don is currently preping for a solo studio album for release sometime in 2009, titled “Da Don”. He is currently working with a release with Keri Hilson, and preparing for Ciara’s upcoming album “Fantasy Ride”. It is also expected that he will work more with Rich Boy for his upcoming album 5 Million.